Haina, Dominican Republic
Heavy Metal Pollution
There's gold in them there Haina River
Another place as popular as a “Lead Balloon” Haina could be called The Lead
Poisoning Capital of the World, and that’s saying a lot if you have already
read about Kabwe and La Oroya on this list.
The lead levels are particularly
bad in an area known as Bajos de Haina, where the site of a former battery
plant has caused extremely high levels of lead in the soil.
according to the UN the entire population of Haina show signs of some
degree of lead poisoning.
Help the children of
Dominican Republic by donating to the
Republic Education And Mentoring (DREAM) Project, a US 501c3 non-profit
organization, provides quality education for all children born into poverty
in rural areas and small communities of the Dominican Republic.
We fulfil our mission by:
• Building classrooms, libraries, computer and science labs and sport
• Securing books, school supplies and educational materials for the
• Partnering with public schools
• Operating private preschool classrooms
• Operating youth groups and summer camps
• Empowering local communities by providing models, resources and training
• Raising awareness within the international community
• Soliciting international volunteers; and
• Training Dominican teachers and local community members in modern child
centered teaching methodologies
We are sustained through the generous contribution of time, talent, funds,
materials and supplies from individuals,foundations, government agencies and